Who is Glen Dunbar?
I find this to be a question worth pondering as there seems to be more "this is who I used to be than who I am." Have you ever felt the same?
Here is a short bio if you are interested in who you are blogging with:
Glen Dunbar is a social gerontologist by training and strives to apply his knowledge about successful aging to his personal life. He is a Certified Senior Advisor, has a Master’s Degree from the Center for Studies in Aging at the University of North Texas and has earned post-graduate credits from the National Leadership Institute on Aging at the University of Colorado and Penn State University. He retired from a career in public service in 2003. Positions which he held included Director of the Policy Office for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging; Director of the Bureau of Research and Planning for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging; Welfare Program Executive for the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare; Public Health Advisor for the federal Public Health Services Administration. After retiring from his first career he entered the Peace Corps where he learned Spanish and taught health promotion in rural Nicaragua.
Since January of 2005 he has worked part time as an adjunct professor for a variety of local colleges and universities teaching sociology, gerontology and leadership courses.
Local Community Service has been a part of Glen’s weekly schedule all his adult life. Representative, long-term, volunteer positions over the last 20 years include:
· Boy Scout and Cub Scout leader (20 years)
· President, Dauphin County Mental Health/Mental Retardation Board
· Board President, Arc of Dauphin County
· President, Harrisburg Jaycees
· President, Capitol Area Cosmopolitan Club
· President, Shipoke Neighborhood Association
· Committee Member, Governor’s Committee on Nutrition
· Board Member, State Advisory Committee on Special Education
· Board Member, Pennsylvania State Parent Education Network
· Board Member, Harrisburg Kiwanis Club
· Board Member, United Cerebral Palsy of the Capital Region
· Board Member, Cumberland-Perry Arc
· Board Member, Codes Appeals Board, City of Harrisburg
· Neighborhood Crime Watch Captain
· Meals-on-Wheels delivery person
· Instructor, Messiah Lifeways Institute
· Member, Order of the Good Death